Friday 15 July 2016

I Found You by Lisa Jewell

Synopsis from Amazon:

East Yorkshire: Single mum Alice Lake finds a man on the beach outside her house. He has no name, no jacket, no idea what he is doing there. Against her better judgement she invites him in to her home.

Surrey: Twenty-one-year-old Lily Monrose has only been married for three weeks. When her new husband fails to come home from work one night she is left stranded in a new country where she knows no one. Then the police tell her that her husband never existed.

Two women, twenty years of secrets and a man who can't remember lie at the heart of Lisa Jewell's brilliant new novel.

Link to Amazon UK:




My review:

I still remember my introduction into the world of Lisa Jewell. It was her book Vince and Joy that I got as a freebie with a magazine that sucked me in and never let me go again. Lisa has a way of keeping hold of you inside her story. She has a way of making her characters believable and alive in a way that you end up having some kind sympathy even for the bad ones.

I Found You is a marvel. Right from the first page I felt I was a secret party to a story of many lives unfolding in a brilliant style that Lisa Jewell masters. It made me wonder what I would do if I found a man on that beach – man like ‘Frank’ as Alice’s family name him. What would I do if my husband disappeared like Lily’s.

Even though they do not know it for good part of the book, the lives of Frank, Lily, Carl and Alice are intricately intertwined and come to a head when secrets are revealed and memories are restored. Lisa makes you wait for it, only hinting a little and not giving much away throughout the book, but in such a skillful way that you just keep going, enjoying every word on every page.

I love Lisa’s writing. Her books are always interesting and this one perhaps darker than others I have read, but all the more intriguing all the way to the end.

Again I applaud Lisa for her great skill in taking me on a journey I did not want to end.

Thank you to Lisa Jewell and TBC for sending this beautiful book to me in return for this honest opinion.


My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment