Thursday 4 May 2017

Rose Petal Graves (The Lost Clan #1) by Olivia Wildenstein

Synopsis:

Ancient secrets cannot remain buried forever.

Founded two centuries ago by a powerful tribe of Gottwa Indians, Rowan was a quiet town, so quiet that I fled after graduation. Staying away was the plan, but Mom died suddenly.

Dad said she suffered a stroke after she dug up one of the ancient graves in our backyard, which happens to be the town cemetery. Creepy, I know. Creepier still, there was no corpse inside the old coffin, only fresh rose petals.

As we made preparations for Mom’s burial, new people began arriving in Rowan, unnervingly handsome and odd people. I begged them to leave, but they stayed, because their enemies—my ancestors—were beginning to awaken.

My review:

Oh how I missed fantasy books about the fae folk. I would say my reading is quite varied but coming back to this sort of novel was just so lovely. Not what I fully expected when I read the blurb, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I have read some of the negative reviews regarding the credibility of the Native American history, but really this book doesn’t state it’s based on facts. This is a work of fiction. And if you are going to throw in fairies and fae-hunters, you must ask yourself whether the facts are really that important.

But away from that. I loved it. This book only lost one star because the only character I kind of warmed to was Cruz and I felt I needed more of him. I have a niggling feeling that he is going to become a very important part of the storyline going forward and I hope he is given more time in the next books. Catori annoyed me at times, especially when it came to her indecisiveness, but she is young and kind of thrown into the deep end, so I can live with her flaws – I suppose no one is perfect.

I can’t say more about the story without spoiling in, but I can say that for me this was a great escape from a reality into a world that I can’t wait to read more about.

Thank you to the author and #TBConFB for access to this book in return for this honest review.

My rating: 4/5

Author’s website: http://oliviawildenstein.com/

Available to purchase from:

No comments:

Post a Comment